First consider if you need to import members. If approaching the end of year
you have the option of letting members join and type their details into
membermojo for the new year. However, if you want to immediately start
benefiting from a central member list, email distribution and other
membermojo features, you will need to import.
Existing member lists are imported by copying from a spreadsheet and pasting
into the Member List table. If you only have paper
records enter the information straight into the table.
All member records are validated before being saved. If there are problems
they will be highlighted in the table. Fixes can be made directly
within the table or by undoing the change and pasting in a set of fresh
rows from your spreadsheet. Pre-import preparation of the spreadsheet
will avoid most, if not all, problems.
If you continue to have problems or want help importing please contact us at
The import process will not send any emails to members.
When the import is complete use Member Groups to notify
If you have multiple spreadsheets of related data you will need to merge
them into a single member sheet.
Your spreadsheet needs to match the table you will be pasting to:
- One row of data per member.
- Remove yourself from this list as your member record already exists in the
database. Your details will need updating separately.
- Separate out members who are part of, or linked to, a multi-member
membership. e.g. family members. These linked members will be added
after the main import. Note that all members in a multi-member
membership must have the same membership. e.g. all 'Family 1 year'
- The spreadsheet column order must exactly match the table. If
there are blank columns in the table, your spreadsheet must
also have a matching blank column.
- Excel Tip - moving a column.
Highlight the column by clicking on the header.
Move the mouse cursor over the selection border until it changes to a 4-way
arrow. Hold shift and drag the mouse to the new location.
- Excel Tip - hiding a column.
Making a column hidden in Excel prevents it from being copied.
To hide a column right click on the column header and select Hide.
To unhide a column select the columns either side of the hidden column,
then right click and select Unhide.
- Check cell formats:
- Dates should be in dd/mm/yyyy format.
- Yes/No fields will be ticked if the cell has a value:
'1', 'yes', 'y' or 'true'.
- Choice fields (such as membership) must match enough leading
characters to pick just one choice. For example, if there are two
memberships 'Adult 3 years' and 'Adult 1 year' then
'Adult 1' is sufficient to match.
- The grey columns (Renewed on and Membership state) are read-only and
cannot be changed through import. Any values pasted to these columns will be
ignored. Renewed on is set when a member renews or joins for the first time.
Membership state is always active for imported members.
- Update as many missing or incorrect email addresses as possible.
Email is the field that allows members to update their own details
and renew their membership online.
Without it membermojo cannot send renewal reminders, expiry notices,
group email or let a member sign-in.
- Set your desired expiry date for all members taking into account
any multi-year or lifetime memberships you support. Automated reminders and
expiry processing uses this date.
- If you have added the Member number field to your form then existing
numbers can be imported as if the column were text. If a member number cell
is left blank the member will be given the Next member number from the
Import lead members
It isn't necessary to import all members in one hit, so start with a
It may be more comfortable if large lists are imported in several passes.
- Copy the rows without headers from the spreadsheet.
- Click Import on the Member List page and paste using your system paste key.
Ctrl+V on windows, Cmd+V on a Mac.
- Rows should now have been created in the table, one for each member,
but not yet saved.
Cells may be highlighted to indicate a formatting problem. If something
unexpected has happened undo the change or Reload the table contents and repeat.
- When happy click Save. Saving the rows will validate all cells and if
successful store them in the database. Any errors will be highlighted.
Use and to review and correct each error.
When fixed press Save then repeat until successful.
Note that no rows are saved until all errors are fixed.
Import linked members
- If there are many linked members format a Linked To column
in your spreadsheet before import.
Linked To is the name of the lead member, optionally followed by their
member number. e.g. 'John Smith (123)'.
You can also import linked members with a blank Linked To, then manually edit.
- Copy the rows for linked members.
- Paste into the table using Import as you did above.
- If blank, edit the Linked To column to assign each linked member to a
The list of lead members is built from all members with a multi-member
membership. Remember that linked members must have the same membership
as the lead member.
Importing expired members
Members will always be imported with an active state and initially be
shown on the Member List page.
However, members can be imported with a past expiry date.
When reminders and expiry processing is made live from the
Make Live page
the system will start sending reminders to any member with near or past
expiry dates. (see Going Live)
Update your own details manually, then verify that all members have been
imported by comparing the row count on the Member List against your spreadsheet.
Ensure the Next member number on the Organisation page
is greater than any imported numbers to prevent the system allocating
a duplicate value for a future member.
Remember that a spreadsheet compatible copy of the member list
can be downloaded as a CSV from the Member List page.